Yaesu DR2 Wires-X connectivity

The following is a correction from Yaesu Japan on the DR2 Wires-X connectivity.

"An important point to note however is that the DR2 does not support Wires-X via the IMRS but does over the air, so is not a replacement or upgrade for the DR1 repeater. The DR1 will continue to be produced for those wishing to grow the Wires-X network."





WOW, so that means we wasted our time securing an Internet connection at our site for our new DR2? That SUCKS if true. So we have to have the WIRES X node separate on another radio.....and another site? Seems Illogical to me also. I hope that can be a software change.




Interesting. I was considering a purchase of one these repeaters for personal or limited public use. However, the price (non-club/org price ~$1,600) is just too high. Not to mention I'd need either two antennas with separation or a set of cans turned to a particular freq, plus the antenna. So at the end of the day, if I went ahead and got one, and got the cans and a good antenna, I'd be walking out the door with ~$2,000 if not more.

I'd rather build my own repeater and use a raspberry pi to control it. Seems like I can build one heck of a repeater with more options than I can with this thing, especially if I wanted to go a full $1,600 on just the transceiver bit.

Nothing against Yaesu, since I'm a Yaesu guy, but their products have gone on the way side, and still expensive.

One of the clubs I belong to has the DR-1 and they've had nothing but issues with it... from interference where it's placed, to desense issues, along with the fact that the squelch control is not variable enough... they do it all through the display as little bars. They should've done it with a knob or some other way.

And you have to take the case apart if you want to update the firmware. Why not a USB slot in the front for a software image.

Speaking of the case... it looks like someone's home brew basement experiment. It looks like there was supposed to me more knobs/buttons. Not to mention the hilarious ring around the display called "Display". Gee... couldn't figure that one out.

Not all that impressed and as I like to say it "There's other fish in the sea."


http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/yaesu-dr2-wires-x-update.574574/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yaesu System Fusion (groups.io) Discussion
https://groups.io/g/YaesuSystemFusion